Skip to main content

Am I a Soldier of the Cross?

    I've been thinking a lot these past few weeks about my responsibilities as a child of God.  I know we all like to think about the blessings of belonging to Jesus Christ, of which there are many.  We like to hear about God's love, His mercy, forgiveness, provision, and eternal riches.  And those things are all ours, after we put our trust in Jesus Christ to be our sin-bearer.
    But there's more to this business of living than just sitting around being a child of the King.  The Apostle Paul, in 2 Timothy 2, calls us to live life like a soldier of Jesus Christ.  Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know much about being a soldier.  I've never been to boot-camp, and never experienced the grueling discipline required to become a soldier who is ready to win any type of battle.  I don't always treat my body like the temple of God that it is.  I don't always make the choice to do what pleases the Lord at the expense of my own ease and comfort.  
    So, am I being obedient to 2 Timothy 2:3-4 - "Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier. 5 Also if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules."  What are the rules of combat, and what does it mean to not be entangled in the affairs of everyday life?  Jesus tells us in the gospels that if we love mother or father, son or daughter, more than Him, then we are not worthy of Him; and that if we will lose our life for the sake of the gospel, we will find true life.  Paul also tells us that it's better to cut off a hand or foot, or pluck out an eye (anything that's hindering our obedient relationship with Christ), than to pay the price of disobedience for all eternity.  Since we have died with Christ [positionally] (our imprisonment to our old nature) at the point of salvation, we will live with Him for eternity.  But the next phrase says,  "If we endure, we will also reign with Him".  What does it mean to endure?  It seems that that is something I need to understand, because I do want to reign with Christ someday.  I think perhaps the rest of the chapter tells us just what that means:  verse 15 tells me to be diligent to present myself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth; He tells me in verse 19 that I am to abstain from wickedness (anything that God hates); I am to flee lust and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.  I am to be kind to all and not quarrelsome; I am to be "studied up" so that I am ready to share truth at all times with those who are around me; I am to be patient when wronged.  I am to be patient in tribulation, and to be always in an attitude of prayer.  
    So, it would seem that endurance is learned through constant self-denial, constant meditation on God's Word, constantly choosing to trust God through the trials of life; to keep on being kind to those who mistreat us; to be constantly denying my selfish desires, and ensuring that Christ is the One whom I love the most.  In essence, it's a life of constant sacrifice that we are called to in order to learn endurance.
    What's the purpose of all this?  Verses 25- 26 tell us - "... perhaps God may grant them [unbelievers or believers walking in disobedience] repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will."  This battle I'm fighting isn't with flesh and blood, but with principalities and powers.  The world is held in the death grip of Satan, bound to do his will.  But I am to be a good soldier, who is able to fight by the rules of engagement, against the powers of darkness.  I must have on the armor of God, I must have the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God always at the ready; I must keep my body under control; my thoughts, my time, my adoration, all need to be directed towards my Captain, Jesus Christ.  
    I'm so thankful for the grace of God that has brought salvation to me; that it teaches me to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly, in this present age;  because I am looking for that blessed hope, and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus.  This Jesus gave Himself for me, to redeem me from every lawless deed, and to purify me, as His own possession, to be a daughter who is  zealous for good deeds (Titus 2).  
    With Christ as my Captain, I have all the power and incentive I need to keep fighting the battle, to keep on giving up my own way, to keep on enduring through trials, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  So, when the kids are sick, and when I don't get enough sleep; when my emotions are on a roller coaster ride; when I'm dealing with tough life issues with our teens, and relationships aren't what they need to be; when I don't get what I want from my marriage, and it seems like I have more to do than I have time to do; when it seems like my old nature is winning the battle more than my new nature - I can still choose to pick up my armor every morning, and engage in battle with the enemy of my soul - because of God's grace.  I'm not in this battle alone.  And I  already know who wins in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heavenly Multiplication

  As I've been thinking about the Sunday sermon from Exodus 2, it's amazing to me the powerful intricacy with which God has orchestrated human history. It gives me immense comfort to know that nothing can thwart the sovereign plan of God to bring the God/man into the world, not even the trillions of human decisions along the way. And that God will ultimately live eternally with his redeemed mankind—not merely on a tiny patch of land that He would temporarily give to a very small people group known as Israel—but on the re-created Earth, the expanded Eden! And no longer with only the small people group of just Israel, but where there will be a magnificently multiplied amount of people (remember “70 souls went down to Egypt” becoming “600,000 men, plus women and children”, plus a mixed multitude from Egypt who were delivered from slavery there). These are all the people whom Revelation 7:9 says God the Father has chosen from among "every trible, and peoples, and languages&qu

Row, Row, Row Your Boat....Together

As our pastor is preaching through the book of Exodus, it has been amazing to me how much application there has been to church discipleship! I will list six of these applications that I heard Sunday:    In the OT, God revealed Himself to mankind in an unfolding, progressive kind of way. But now He has fully revealed Himself in His Son, Jesus Christ, who is the Living Word of God, through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us  (Heb. 1:1-4). The extent to which we know Him, believe Him, and trust Him, is the extent to which we will worship, fear, love, and obey Him.  God's revelation through the Son and the written Word of God gives us the true measure of ourselves - a measure that falls woefully short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23). We need deliverance on a daily basis from the grip of indwelling sin! (Rom. 7:21-25). Hebrews 3 calls us to listen to and hear Him today (not a passive hearing, but an active one) and don't harden our hearts against Him, but to exhort one another

Zipporah

As Pastor Rob is preaching interpretation, and pastorally shepherding us applicationally through the book of Exodus, Dave and I have been so blessed to have so much to talk about throughout the week as we’re seeking to be doers of the Word and not merely hearers, and it has also given us much to talk about with others. Exodus 4:18-31 was last week’s passage, and the section on Zipporah was very surprising to me and will be the scope of this article. So, to back it up, Rob brought out how God revealed Himself in three ways to Moses:   as a Father who assuaged Moses’   fears regarding the men who has sought his life in Egypt as the covenant-keeper who would go with Moses as he went back to Egypt; and as the faithful God who would always keep His promises to His covenant people, the physical sign of circumcision being the mark God required. God then told Moses that it would not be his ability to deliver Israel from slavery, and as a matter of fact, God would further harden P